Monday, March 05, 2007

Food For Thought.

My Dad recently told me I have a country singer's voice. I was shocked (not disappointed, shocked, in a good way). He said that my voice is the kind that sounds better along with a strumming guitar rather than an orchestra or two in the background.

It gave me some food for thought.

So while I sat there chewing (excuse the pun), I remembered something a good friend told me once. I had asked that friend whether I knew him well. He replied that he didn't think he was the judge in that matter. Now I, being a firm believer in the thing-ama-bob, "People who think they know me better than me.... don't know anything", was a bit, you might say, unnerved by this response. So he told me that if he thought he knew himself well enough to judge, it would be a different matter. I smiled.

Many a time, we think that we are something that we have to be all the time. If you're a party animal, you can't stay quiet. If you're a quiet person, you cant get crazy.

Then, when someone comes and tells you that you're not the person you thought you are, it's quite a jolt. You can choose to take it in any way. Sure, we're the best judges of ourselves. But that doesn't mean we don't let our friends and family and people who care about us have a hand in making ourselves better people.

Sometimes you gotta let it go. Sometimes, you have to learn to learn from people other than you. Sometimes .... you have to think a bit before deciding how to react to people's comments about you.

A lot of times, though, people don't comment. But don't get all proud about it, you never know what reason they have for not telling you what they think of you. It happens very often that you know what you really are ... but people react to it differently. And it ends up in lots of nonsensical circumstances like misunderstanding and crying and suicide and what-not. So if people aren't commenting, there must be something wrong. Talk to them about it.

What I'm trying to say is don't think that you can live in isolation or not let anyone interfere in your life. That's not possible. You need to know what people think. Because sometimes, they're not out to get you. Sometimes .... they just might be right.

And I am so GLAD that I found out what kind of voice I have! Some people never find out. And I'm not one of them.

:D:D

5 comments:

Nishant said...

Well insight isn't necessarily sweet, but it is definitely necessary.

This post was both, and no matter what, always, always, remember -

There is room to improve.

Anonymous said...

Mystery is why we shut our eyes in order to see.
Itsss what only the heart can see rightly. What is essential is invisible to the eye.
Yet. Insight.
A moment's insight is worht a life's experience.
Great post!

Rhea said...

Hmm... I know how you feel!
You have this idea of who you are in your head..
and then someone comes along and changes all your perceptions of yourself =]

Radhii said...

Hey !
Okay lol .. I was waiting for you to wonder who the second comment was. It was me :P
Yea okay. I said everything i wanted to thre. I was being semi-serious for once so .. :P NOW IM NOT =)
Anyways .. Great post again ! UPDATEEEE

Anonymous said...

gimme ur voice and i will give you an orchesta.

senior solo - JUUUUUUU!!!!!